In part one of our two-part show on open water swimming, we talk to elite open water swimmer and 2012 Olympian Alex Meyer.
Some of the topics we covered include:
- His career as an All-American at Harvard
- The rather rapid transition from pool distance swimming to open water marathon swimming
- The runup to the 2012 Olympic 10km race in London
- What brought him to the Knoxville to train with the Tennessee Aquatics Elite Team and coach Tyler Fenwick
- The race he hopes to win before retiring this year, the Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean 32km
Alex also fields questions from the listening audience, including:
- What his open water training looks like
- Tips for keeping momentum while sighting
- A discussion of how to maximize drafting and how he ditches drafters who don’t observe proper etiquette.